me-tv-development team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #65002]: I wanna make me-tv packages, compiled against libxine instead of xine-ui, will I get any regressions ?

Question #65002 on Me TV changed:
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/me-tv/+question/65002

Michael Lamothe proposed the following answer:
Hi Mantas,

0.8 is still in development and not recommended yet,.  What's the
timeline for the next version of Baltix?

The newer versions of Me TV (including 0.7.16) can be optionally
compiled to enable different (multiple) engines. Try `configure
--enable-xine-lib-engine` (see configure.ac).  However, I don't think
that we got the xine-lib engine working properly in 0.7.  To use the
newly compiled engine `gconftool-2 -t string -s /apps/me-tv/engine_type
xine-lib` ... you get the idea.  In 0.8 you will also have the option of
libgtreamer, libvlc and mplayer although most of them will be "used at
your own risk".  I still haven't decided which one is going to be the
officially supported one, probably xine-ui again.

xine-lib leaks memory at about 300-500 MB a day which makes it
unsuitable for an "always-running" application like Me TV.  Any memory
leaked by the xine-ui player gets cleaned up when it terminates making
it a better option.  Also, if xine-ui crashes it doesn't take down the
whole application with it.

--
You received this question notification because you are a member of Me
TV Development, which is an answer contact for Me TV.