Re: Sum tree storage

Hi Myrtle,
Thanks for reviewing the doc!
> If not, doesn't this imply that the root chunk needs to be mutated all
> the way to the root itself on any addition?
Mostly, yes. The whole tree is pre-computed (to give credit, that's Merope's good work) up to the root. You're might be overestimating how much adding one more node requires though. In terms of tree structure it only changes the "extreme right" (which is short in a MMR). When a new block comes in, the new data gets bulk-added, the right side of the tree is adjusted and the whole thing gets re-saved. There are likely optimizations to limit the size of the re-saving so it's not the whole root chunk, my plan was to see if they're overkill once I have a first implementation.

> is it worth considering an incomplete chunk, rather than adding
> incomplete subtrees of height less than H to the root chunk?
That's possibly one of the first optimizations on the root chunk. The idea is to lower H as you move to the right of the tree. It adds some complexity to the design though so I'll see if that's the lowest hanging fruit. Saving 3.3MB (at most) is pretty fast on modern SSDs...
> the chain state [...] no longer consists solely of the explicit inputs
> and outputs of the cut-through block, but in a way also depends
> on the cut-through outputs and the order in which they were added
> to the blockchain.
Correct. I think this is okay. On sync you'll get both the UTXO set and the full tree. Then you can validate that a) all UTXOs are in the tree b) there are no other UTXOs c) the root matches the root in the header d) the sums match (remember it's a sum tree). Between the root hash and the sum, I can't see how this can be falsified (from the header root hash) without breaking a few strong cryptographic primitives. As a matter of fact I think d) alone would be enough (although I'd love to hear it if someone thinks I'm wrong).
And I agree with you, we should do another pass on that whole document once all of this is a bit more advanced.
- Igno
P.S. I've been made aware (thanks kanzure!) of some tangential and interesting research from Bram Cohen regarding proof of position and bitfields (TXO bitfields section in [1]).
[1] http://diyhpl.us/wiki/transcripts/sf-bitcoin-meetup/2017-07-08-bram-cohen-merkle-sets/