Re: Branding and messaging

I haven't committed code yet. However, I agree with Andrew's well-phrased
statements about making privacy cheap and accessible. I think that is a
valiant goal and one that many people can rally around. That being said,
and really my only hesitation with going that direction is that it would be
nice if there was a way in which we can actually measure our progress
towards achieving that goal. What defines "cheap"? What defines
"accessible"? and from what/whose perspective?

Given that it might be hard to objectively quantify these things such that
the measurement is equally applicable to all users of the system, one
thought I had instead is: perhaps we should  try to identify a (small) set
of overarching *values/principles* that we stand for and/or a "final ideal
state of the world" that we're trying to achieve (knowing that we are never
going to exactly get there). The features of our network/economy such as
decentralization, cheap and accessible privacy, etc are then (hopefully)
obvious side effects of our values. For example:

"We seek to build a world where:

   - an individual's financial actions are private by default,
   - spending less than one earns is rewarded through increased purchasing
   power,
   - wealth is acquired honorably and transferred voluntarily
   - ... "

As much as we want to, we are are not going to be able to capture all
people's interest/investment/time, at least not initially, as there will
always be some that don't agree with our values. Instead, perhaps we might
want to focus on capturing the steadfast and principled dedication of a
growing core group of good people who will stick with the project for a
decade or more with very few defectors. Yes, that's a long time, but we
can't deny that there is already a fair amount of fragmentation in the
crypto space when it isn't even a decade old yet. One way to deter
short-term players might be to include mechanisms (whether formal or
informal) that very clearly prefer to reward longer-term thinking over
short-term thinking.

Regardless, I think that Igno is smart to be starting this discussion now!
Thank you Igno for your continued contributions and leadership!

Lastly, I do think that there are a lot of bitcoiners that are distinctly
interested in MW/Grin more than they are interested in many/any of the
other coins/networks out there. I'm not sure that snapshotting the bitcoin
ledger and grandfathering them in is the right move though -- for what its
worth, I lean towards the no-ICO, no-premine direction.