Re: First development funding campaign

Hi all,

I just wanted to add a thanks to Igno and everyone who’s been involved in MW/Grin so far for this opportunity. Grin is one of the most exciting projects I’ve ever had the good fortune to work on. Though many contributors choose to remain hidden, it’s clear that all of the people behind this project bring impressive amounts of technical and academic knowledge matched with experience and professionalism that, (in my measured opinion), give the project a much-better-than-average chance of being successful. I’m humbled to be allowed to be a part of it, and will be continuing to contribute regardless of the outcome of this funding experiment.

I’m also ecstatic to see there have already been donations made. Thanks to those brave pioneers, and I also want to point out that I’ll be starting a ‘Friends of Grin’ page (for lack of a better title for now, on which individuals or entities who donate or sponsor (above a modest threshold, currently undefined) can optionally choose to have themselves or their logos listed. If you’re donating and are interested in appearing here, please let me know.

Also (provided this works out,) I intend to start a blog through which I can provide the community with updates on what I’m working on, as well as try to provide some general insight on why I’m doing what I’m doing. It important that the community knows what donations are going towards, but I’d also like to use opportunity to offer a bit more value. For instance, instead of saying something like ‘I worked on integrating Schnorr signatures,’ I’d much rather provide some overview on what Schnorr signatures are exactly, why I’m working on the them, and what their benefit to/impact on Grin will be. It should make for more interesting reading, as well as (hopefully) provide some general-knowledge overviews of concepts and terms that get thrown around a lot but are rarely explained.

So thanks again, and apologies in advance for any cap-in-hand type behaviour from us as we do this, but soliciting community donations are really the least-worst option to progress Grin/MW development while keeping it free of undue influence. There’s no doubt that it would be nice to be able to trade in the day job for work I feel passionate about (for a while, anyhow), but I see this as taking on a responsibility to the community and to the project rather than just another source of contract work. I hope that what starts as a humble campaign to fund me for a while turns into a proper project bootstrapping effort, and I will be working beyond just the coding to try and raise awareness and grow the project’s profile.

Please have a read through the funding principles if you can, and any feedback on them is welcome. I’m available on Gitter whenever I’m awake.

http://grin-tech.org/funding.html <http://grin-tech.org/funding.html>

YP