Re: Scaling and HA strategies

Hi Thomas,

> I imagine that for all the MQTT based services, we have a 3 "actors" setup
> -Client: the Client level, ie mobile phones here, handled by an MQTT client library
> -Broker: Clients talk with MQTT brokers
> -Server Application: A server app that is listening to MQTT topics and posting some

Yes, agreed.

> So for HA (ie being sure a client can connect), we need to have multiple Brokers
> for redundancy (as for the Server Application, but it is not the topic here)
> From what I've seen the bridge feature seems to be of some help for this kind of
> setup, but it is not clear to me if it would be better to deal with topic sync at the
> server application level, ie posting on each broker servers individually  instead
> of on one and letting the bridge feature handling it, same for reading client message
> of course : reading on each broker, or on one using bridge sync.

I think that using the in-built broker bridging is probably best
suited to relatively simple applications. As you say, with a large
number of brokers the bridging requirements become non-trivial. Having
the application server publish to many brokers is likely to be easier
to manage, particularly if your server is already being duplicated.

Cheers,

Roger