Re: [Ayatana] notify-osd + fullscreen + multiple monitors

Martín Soto wrote:

>     Third, I think we want some way for the user to influence this, but
>     we want it to be systemic (i.e. ONE knob for the WHOLE system, not
>     knobs-per-app-per-condition). We've talked about using the presence
>     state that is exposed in the FUSA work that Ted Gould did for 8.10.
>     I like that, but need to think about the real meaning of the various
>     states we expose there, with regard to notifications. The last
>     sketch I saw added a "Presentation" state, which was like
>     "Available" but silenced notifications. I think it's wrong to use
>     the term "Presentation" because that's only one use-case, but I
>     haven't formulated that thinking clearly enough to have a strong
>     counter-proposal yet.
>

> I would also say the relevant mode is not strictly "Presentation" but
> rather "people are looking, don't embarrass me, mom!" It's clear to me
> that detecting the "don't embarrass me" situations automatically is not
> always easy (yes, your boss may be looking over your shoulder...) but
> there are certainly some obvious ones we can handle. The idea of
> detecting the active video out goes precisely in this direction.
>
> Cheers,

Labeling the FUSA "Presentation" state to a "Non-critical notifications"
state with a checkbox is the simplest approach.

*We cannot decide every app using full screen* , videos too can/cannot
be disturbed by notification , several use cases have been presented
here to illustrate both scenarios. When a simple FUSA checkbox can do
the job why analyzing all the apps and breaking our heads over how to
handle it?!

cheers,
mac_v