Re: [Ayatana] notify-osd + fullscreen + multiple monitors

Forwarding to ayatana as i forgot to put it in the recipient list AGAIN...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steve Dodier <sidnioulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2009/7/8
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] notify-osd + fullscreen + multiple monitors
To: Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>

I must say i disagree with the use of a "reminder" notification per application. I would be in favour of a notification (or dialog box) that lets the user know (s)he can disable notifications (and maybe other things like blinking indicator-applet and pidgin/empathy windows) when (s)he goes in FUSA do-not-disturb mode, but this notification / dialog box should only appear once (and possibly not in the first day of use because the user might have enough things to do / learn not to be able to focus on "new" things).

My main worry about notifications per application is that indeed, it will piss users off. And if really we want to do it once per app, it means we have to remember about every app for which a notification has been shown. Sounds like too much effort for the benefit in my opinion.

By the way, i mention dialog boxes, because i don't consider it bad to use it in order to present a feature to an user. Indeed, the OS of the bug #1 just spams dialog boxes with errors and cryptic messages, seriously disturbing it's users. I think educational dialog boxes that only appear in order to present the indicator applet and notification system (so that the user knows how to expect his system / apps to communicate towards him) should be bearable.

--
Steve Dodier
IRC : SiDi on irc.freenode.net