Re: [Ayatana] Message Indicator: Listing apps in menu even if they are not on

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 11:16, mac_v <drkvi-a@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

-1 , Checkboxes are not really ideal for indicating app working.
A checkbox ,would mean that the item can also be unchecked , which in
this case cannot be.

You could certainly uncheck them. Doing so would simple close the application.

As *mpt* , mentions that the apps are to be considered as objects and
they can display icons in the menus.

We could use icon and toggle transparencies to show if the app is active
or not. Attaching a mockup...

It does look pretty. However, I don't think colors and icons and transparency are the way to go here. That kind of cue is always going to be subject to personal interpretation, not to mention vision/color impairments. A text indicator is important.

Even just to bootstrap the approach, it tells people that "this different color/icon means X". For the base indicator-applet icon, we have notifications that tell people "Hey, something's up. You have a new message", which associates the modified icon with the behavior. Currently, and even with that mockup, we have real intuition about what the new colors/transparency mean.