Re: [Ayatana] Message Indicator: Listing apps in menu even if they are not on

On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 15:25 -0300, Martin Albisetti wrote:
> mac_v wrote:
> > We could use icon and toggle transparencies to show if the app is active
> > or not. Attaching a mockup...
>
> Wow, this is nice!
> I think this is getting us there, but I still feel we need a stronger
> indication that the application isn't running.
> How about we had the text, underneath each un-opened app right-aligned, saying
> something like:
> Start ->

Do we have to get more verbose? Already the menu items have a
description below the option ...

Also , The user is able to start apps from the applications menu without
any verbose indications that the menu item starts the app , so do we
really need to get verbose with the non-running apps?

IMO , it would be better if we get better at indicating the app is
running.

We could add a green spotlight below the icon , to show it is active and
running.

On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 12:03 -0700, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 11:16, mac_v <drkvi-a@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>         -1 , Checkboxes are not really ideal for indicating app
>         working.
>         A checkbox ,would mean that the item can also be unchecked ,
>         which in
>         this case cannot be.
>
> You could certainly uncheck them. Doing so would simple close the
> application.

Currently, empathy behavior> when minimized the app is restored when
clicking the menu option. Also it is planned to minimize apps to the
menu and run them in the background.

So then , if the checkboxes where used to close ,
- the checkbox would have to be separate of the menu item , I'm not sure
how this can even be achieved. [Unchecking to close]
- this would lead to accidental user scenarios where the user actually
wanted to restore the app but instead ended up closing it.

Also , no where in the system a checkbox is used to start an app , they
are used for settings.
And immediate actions are not allowed in the GnomeHIG:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/controls-check-boxes.html.en

--
Cheers,
mac_v