Re: [Ayatana] Message Indicator: Listing apps in menu even if they are not on

Here's a related question:

I've always had a mail notifiier running all the time. I always want it running. I want it running the  *moment* I log in. I don't want to have to go into a menu and tell it to launch evolution every time I log in. (For that matter, I really don't want the Evolution gui open all the time...). Likewise for empathy.

How does a user go from "Here's a list of apps you can launch" to "Here are some apps that should always start when you log in"? Should there be a dialog asking if you want those apps to auto-start the next time we log in?

I think the only correct path for this is to load all the apps, and then logout, saving the session... but I know that broke in gnome-session a long time ago by design, and I'm not sure if it ever came back properly.

This would seem like another great justification for the indicator-applet to have a preferences dialog. Users will want to configure what shows up and what doesn't (Just because evolution is installed doesn't mean I want it there. Likewise, just because I ran an application once to try it doesn't mean it should live ind the messaging menu for eternity).... users ALSO should be able to configure which indicator-apps start up automatically.

Maybe this indicates that the indicator-applet and session properties should be somehow more integrated?

Thoughts?