Re: [Ayatana] Promoting the LTS

Reading the Wiki, it sounds a lot like stability is the goal of an LTS.

From the Ubuntu Wiki(I've added the red for emphasis):

Release Plan Details

  1. We are more conservative in our package merge with Debian, auto-synching with Debian testing, instead of Debian unstable.

  2. We start stabilizing the release early by significantly limiting the number of new features. We will choose which features we package into the LTS release, versus which ones we leave out and allow for users to optionally download and use from a separate archive.
  3. Avoid structural changes as far as possible, such as changing the default set of applications, lots of library transitions, or system layer changes (example: introducing KMS or hal → DeviceKit would not have been appropriate changes in a LTS).

Furthermore, we define the LTS to be:

and clearly state that it is not:

To support our goal of ensuring stability, we plan to make a small number of changes to the release schedule:
  1. Reduced Alpha Stage: Because we will have substantially less new code, we can reduce the number of Alpha releases, and extend the Beta stage to allow for more system testing.

  2. Two Beta Releases: We generally get more bugs filed in the Beta stage because of the increase in user base. In order to address more of these issues, we will provide an additional Beta release.