Re: [Ayatana] Farewell to the notification area

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:44, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Do you have suggestions on how we can make the transition smoother?

thank you for asking for our opinions ;)

after all u openly admit, conceptual mistakes did happen in the recent past..
looks like Ubuntu can learn from mistakes. glad to see Ubuntu's confidence and creative innovation unaffected!

conservative behaviour upstream is important, since that's where the foundation all our houses stand upon is being maintained. imagine GNOME not letting us know about 3.0's GNOME Shell until 1 month before release.. that would be insane.

MPT: after reading your excellent article on the history of 90% of why there is a panel in nearly every desktop, i agree fully: farewell to the notification area ;)

all that has been said in this thread so far is reasonable imho.

all *i* would like to add now, is that i'm confident you guys already are aware of most of these points, and that's what makes the planned changes so valuable..
keep pioneering the desktop, just keep your community in the loop like you hereby did!