[Ayatana] Making workspaces great (branched from "Farewell to the notification area")

> It's a good point. The workspaces experience has languished, and I'd
> like for us to climb in and improve it substantially. At the moment, we
> do a half-hearted job - we ship what's there but as you say, only
> configure two workspaces. I'd be inclined to say "ship without
> workspaces" so that we are at least definitive about the position for
> the moment.
>
> I'd welcome a discussion about how we could make workspaces *great*. If
> we can do that, then we would make more of them. And your contribution
> above is a useful start: great workspaces give you easy access to some
> apps regardless of the workspace you happen to be in.

I'd love that discussion too. :)

A tabbed system like Robin mentioned sounds very nice to me for two
reasons: first, it's very familiar as tabbed browsers are nearly
ubiquitous now. Second, am I the only one here annoyed at the fact that
there is a *huge* waste of space in the middle of the top panel? This
would be a very good and use of it.

Brainstorming a little bit, I think a very nice way to visually show
workspaces this way would be extending the wallpaper to the tabs.
See the (ugly) mockup I'm attaching here, what you guys think?