Re: [Ayatana] Making workspaces great (branched from "Farewell to the notification area")

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:27, Conscious User <conscioususer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> It's a good point. The workspaces experience has languished, and I'd
>> like for us to climb in and improve it substantially. At the moment, we
>> do a half-hearted job - we ship what's there but as you say, only
>> configure two workspaces. I'd be inclined to say "ship without
>> workspaces" so that we are at least definitive about the position for
>> the moment.
>>
>> I'd welcome a discussion about how we could make workspaces *great*. If
>> we can do that, then we would make more of them. And your contribution
>> above is a useful start: great workspaces give you easy access to some
>> apps regardless of the workspace you happen to be in.
>
> I'd love that discussion too. :)
>
> A tabbed system like Robin mentioned sounds very nice to me for two
> reasons: first, it's very familiar as tabbed browsers are nearly
> ubiquitous now. Second, am I the only one here annoyed at the fact that
> there is a *huge* waste of space in the middle of the top panel? This
> would be a very good and use of it.
>
> Brainstorming a little bit, I think a very nice way to visually show
> workspaces this way would be extending the wallpaper to the tabs.
> See the (ugly) mockup I'm attaching here, what you guys think?

I brainstormed a little on your mockup. The attached image shows
workspaces as tabs, and inside it are the actual applications.

This could easily carry dock functionality as well, where you pin some
applications to a particular workspace.

--
Remco