Re: [Ayatana] Making workspaces great (branched from "Farewell to the notification area")

* Conscious User (conscioususer@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> > While I like the basic concept, there are going to be severe limits.
> > First off, what about vertical desktops? I have a 2x 2 setup, and its
> > worked wonders for me for keeping organized. I personally can't stand
> > the stick em all in the line organization.
>
> Can you please elaborate more on how vertical setups help your
> organization? I use a 2x2 setup too, but mainly for keyboard
> navigation purposes, something that would not be forbidden by
> the tab concept.

I run a 3x3 workspace on all my machines and I have a mental map of
the layout of the desktop that works really well with the keyboard
bindings - I know that I always keep my web browsers at the bottom right.
That mental map is really important to me and I like having the
switcher showing me it as well (just in case I can't remember where
I've put something else!)  Having 3x3 switcher also doesn't
take up too much panel space (the Gnome switcher is still quite useable
at that size, the KDE equivalent less so).

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /