Re: [Ayatana] Two suggested designs for the Sound Indicator

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Sense Hofstede <qense@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3 May 2010 11:04, Alex Lourie <djay.il@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about a dinamic ordering in the indicator?
>
> So if I don't have any music player currently running (or playing), the an
> "active" application should appear first (for example, Firefox, or better
> even - VOIP application, such as empathy or Skype).

Very good idea! It would indeed be a huge usability benefit if the
applications are sorted on their activity so you can easily set the
volume of the application you're most likely interacting with.

You could even "hide" everything else in some kind of a submenu... so you'd only see the media player (if running), the application you're running currently and the master volume. If current application doesn't support audio, then show the first few that do. Everything else could be in "Other >" entry.

> If the "active" application doesn't support audio functions, then present
> the first one that does, etc.

I don't think we should include anything that doesn't use audio in the
Sound Indicator.

I absolutely agree.

Alex.