Re: [Ayatana] Two suggested designs for the Sound Indicator

On 3 May 2010 11:15, Alex Lourie <djay.il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Sense Hofstede <qense@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 3 May 2010 11:04, Alex Lourie <djay.il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > How about a dinamic ordering in the indicator?
>> >
>> > So if I don't have any music player currently running (or playing), the
>> > an
>> > "active" application should appear first (for example, Firefox, or
>> > better
>> > even - VOIP application, such as empathy or Skype).
>>
>> Very good idea! It would indeed be a huge usability benefit if the
>> applications are sorted on their activity so you can easily set the
>> volume of the application you're most likely interacting with.
>>

> You could even "hide" everything else in some kind of a submenu... so you'd
> only see the media player (if running), the application you're running
> currently and the master volume. If current application doesn't support
> audio, then show the first few that do. Everything else could be in "Other
>>" entry.

Absolutely. By default there should be only one volume slider for all
programs (like now). A control for every program (e. g. gedit …) will
just confuse users.

I am sceptic on how the use cases are anyway: When you are listening
to music, you normally do not watch a movie at the same time. If
certain notifications are masked by loud music, there should be a
function to automatically slightly dim every other sound when a
notification is playing (in a subtle, not in an annoying way, of
course).