Re: [Ayatana] Two suggested designs for the Sound Indicator

2010/5/4 Martín Soto <donsoto@xxxxxxxxx>
2010/5/4 Frederik Nnaji <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx>
a buttoned interface with columns or rows for the respective apps..with little 3 Bit digital volume meters (2 for stereo/surround, 1 for mono)  attached to each app icon

How many applications would you expect to find in practice on such a table/list? I would expect a maximum of two, and that only in rare cases.

yes, perhaps 2, maybe more.
good that you mention this: i think the most reasonable solution then would be rows instead of columns per app.

Also, do you really want to control stereo balance separately for each application you use?

meters: purely informative, no control for stereo balance.

one meter means we're listening to a mono source
two bars means it's stereo or multistream

meters are helpful, since they visualize sound.. per app.
you can easily think of multiple intuitive advantages of such a feature in your UI.
they are not difficult to implement.
programming an EQ would be much harder.