Re: [Ayatana] Use cases for volume control

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Ralph Green <sirable@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2010/5/4 Martín Soto <donsoto@xxxxxxxxx>:
> * Mary often listens to music from the computer in her room, while
>   she's chatting with friends and browsing the web. She needs
>   a quick way to set the volume to adapt it to her mood and to the
>   recording level of the current song.
Howdy,
 For the ogg and mp3 files in my collection, I have encoded most of
them with the replain gain tag.  This can help the player set the
volume as you explain here.  It is fairly easy to go gag and tag audio
files with this tag.

I'm also a fan of ReplayGain and use it whenever I can. The use case, however, is there to show the need, not the solution. Indeed, the best possible solution is one that doesn't require any user intervention to achieve the desired effect, and, for this case, ReplayGain belongs definitely to this league.

Maybe we could write this case in a somewhat different way to convey the fact that the volume has to be adjusted, without implying that this adjustment has to be manual. Any suggestions?

Martín