Re: [Ayatana] Is it time we killed "minimize to tray" ?

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Alex Launi <alex.launi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We pretty much already do all of this in Docky. Docky + panel mode is basically the win7 jump list jawn.

Sure, there are a lot of implementations of similar ideas, all with slightly different ideas of what they should be, and all with vastly different ways of having programs use them effectively. If something like this were to gain /any/ traction in Ubuntu at all, we would need a unified way for programs to interact with the window selector/task manager/etc. If you have two people using Docky here, two people using DockbarX there, and 10 people using gnome-panel, then you cannot reasonable expect application developers to think about all the different ways in which these users will interact with their program and then to code for them. You want a single idea of "collapsed" mode, where the user interacts with the application through some minimal interface. Then the developer need only specify what functions should be accessible, etc., and the window selector will take car of the rest.

--
--Alex Launi