Re: [Ayatana] Is it time we killed "minimize to tray" ?

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 21:06, Gavin Langdon <puttabutta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Finally, it would increase the utility of standard window minimizing. Rather
> than removing the application completely from the user's grasp when they
> minimize it, it is simply taking up less space. The user does not need to
> unminimize the media player in order to change songs--it 'sets up shop' in
> the taskbar instead of hiding there.
>
> One last thing: if support was added to tear off these taskbar menus, things
> could get even more interesting. Most media players have a 'compact mode' in
> which they take up about 200x100 pixels at the most. If it was allowed to
> tear off the taskbar menus, any application could be usable in 'mini mode'.
> The most obvious example is for the media player, but think beyond that and
> you see opportunities for downloaders, chat programs, and more.
>
> In fact, the whole paradigm of small applets that take up little space has
> already been implemented--Gadgets/Widgets! Their issue is they're hidden
> away, not integrated well, and are separate from larger apps so must be
> managed separately. If the window previews and contextual menus supported
> being torn off the taskbar, these would serve perfectly as widgets.

This is awesome! So, instead of a simple item in the window list, it
becomes a mini version of the program. It's a bit like how the Windows
Media Player[1] is implemented in Windows 7, but instead of a preview
with buttons that only becomes visible when you hover over the icon,
the icon itself is the mini player! So your lower panel becomes a row
of mini applications.

[1] http://www.uxpassion.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/windows-media-player-taskbar-thumbnail.jpg

--
Remco