Re: [Ayatana] Combo Indicator Applets

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 07:46, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, there is no direct fallback with libindicate, we allow applications to handle that themselves.  Honestly, I'm not sure how that'd work.  It seems like every case is a special case as for instance Evolution doesn't have a notification area icon in the fallback case, and the Empathy one is pretty different.

So is there any reason the messaging menu couldn't be a regular indicator? My gut says it should probably be a system indicator, but I'd really really want this to fall-back into the notification area anyways.

If the messaging menu, and other indicator features are to be supported by upstream, I believe we need to reduce the barrier of adoption. If gnome-shell, kde, xfce, and every other random window-manager/desktop-environment (which almost universally support the notification spec) could have all the same indicators and features that the ubuntu offers, without having to adopt/implement a new applet/protocol, we'll have a much better chance of getting the community at large on board.

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= Email/XMPP: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx =-