Re: [Ayatana] Fw: Re: Rethink the noninteractive Live CD default boot?

Hi Lance

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 15:25, Lance <lbsolost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I needed to do some unrelated work with the Lucid Live CD this AM and just decided to test the "timeout" during which you can press any key to display the language selection menu and boot options.

It fails at 5 seconds and also at 4 seconds, but it succeeds at 3 seconds. Does that seem correct? Or perhaps the graphic is displaying late with my Intel i945?

3 seconds is not long to think, "hmmm - what are these emblems, what should I do". I'll grant you that knowing the behavior is in itself a solution, simply pay very close attention, but is that truly desirable behavior?

so often, i wanted to write down notes on what i hate most with the Live CD.
Unfortunately, most of the work i do with the Live CDs happens in a limited time-frame, so i can't take my time to do usability notes on the side always..

Thank you for contributing your observation, this issue is important, especially because it is the first impression a first time Ubuntu user will get.
IF at all we allow an impression of perfection, perhaps this screen/splash/interaction dialog should host it, while the complex DE may have enough excuses for not being so perfect on the surface