Re: [Ayatana] Fw: Re: Rethink the noninteractive Live CD default boot?

2010/5/26 Luke Morton <luke.morton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 13:07 +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> On 25/05/10 10:52, C. Cooke wrote:
> > Make cd testing automatic unless an advanced parameter is used and
> > provide an option to cancel the media check.
>
> Our goal is a fast, clean install. The media check takes a relatively
> long time, so won't be the default.

Would it be possible to prompt the user to do a media check in the event
of a failed install?

As a point of curiosity: how common are errors in the media? I do remember a time when we had to burn our CDs at low speeds or there was a high risk of just making coasters; however, it's been many years since I've done anything but burning at max speed, and even old CDs or DVDs from some drawer still work after years and years. I've asked around (not because of this discussion, it came up in another context) and anecdotally, this seems to be true for "all" others.

Not that the media can't be broken, or otherwise compromised. I'm just wondering if this happens in a noticeable percentage of installs. In other words, is it worth spending time on, especially making more prominent?

/ K