Re: [Ayatana] Places > People

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 02:25 +0200, Frederik Nnaji wrote:

> 2. In which of the above categories would you prefer to see
> "Contacts".. Personal or rather Network? or perhaps a new "People"
> category?

Network is for your local (computer) network and thus no place for
Contacts/People.

Not all contacts/people a user wants or has to manage are what they
would call "personal".

People and Contacts are not quite the same. The first implies or
encourages bundling of as much information as you you can get, while the
later puts an emphasis on addresses and communication channels.

> 3. What do you know about the concept of "Places" and how happy are
> you with the current implementation of it?

I think the Desktop folder has great potential to confuse users with its
special dual presence.

The whole dual approach of having a single-rooted filesystem and
"Places" on top of it presents a scary conceptual depth.

> David suggested we discuss specifically the integration of
> metacontacts in Unity's launcher, so please ppl, let it happen ;)

_meta_contacts? I'd prefer to call it people/profiles if it's about
bundling addresses belonging to a single person. Hmm, there's also the
question of how to model organizations, where you might have addresses
that do not map to persons.
Call it Groups if it's about collecting addresses in a mailing list or
newsletter style.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: