[Ayatana] reviewing the Screenshot Tool [was: Idea: windicator add-ons, an extensible window border]

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 15:59, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/06/10 10:08, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> The ideal screenshot tool would instantly take a screenshot of the whole
> screen, *and* one of the current window, just in case you wanted either
> of those, and *then* show its own interface giving you the option of
> saving/publishing either of them or taking a screenshot of something
> else.

yes, perhaps some suggestions to this:
* create Places > Screenshots
* take 2 screenshots by default: 1. Window / 2. Full Screen
* autosave screenshots to "Places > Screenshots > .tmp" folder in background
* show gallery for current screenshooting session [PRNT] button down as RGBA overlay utility, just like ALT-TAB
* afford "manage" and "forget" buttons in overlay utility
* discard screenshooting upon release, if nothing was selected
* initiate drag from "Places > Screenschots > .tmp" folder upon "drag" gesture on thumb in overlay gallery utility

> All the screenshot tools I've seen get this basic, basic thing
> wrong. They act as if taking a screenshot is an incredibly strenuous
> activity for the computer, and it's vital that you first specify exactly
> what you want a screenshot of, never mind that that thing might have
> disappeared in the meantime.

Is it on the list? ;-)

Is it yet?

gnome-screenshot is excellent software IMO.
I use mostly the dialog that pops up when you hit PRINT or ALT+PRINT [1]..

screenshot_4q84M4.png

Here a few usability issues i encounter frequently:

* no context menu for the thumbnail
* no indication that the thumb is Drag_and_Drop-ready
   > save button should become save-to or save-as
* IMO, replace Cancel with discard
* IMO, replace help with a blue/white "info" icon
* can't zoom thumb
* can't crop
* replace "Copy to Clipboard" with "open with" dropdown
* no support for image hosting services [2]
* "save in folder:" doesn't default to a Screenshot Place
* doesn't afford viewing the screenshot gallery in "Places > Screenshots"
* doesn't understand F9 "context pane" ON|OFF    (Rhythmbox, Nautilus, Totem, EoG do already)
* wants me to type filename and extension, but there's only one filetype, extension should be automatic
* instead, why doesn't it ask me to enter title & caption?

Are there any namespaces for file metadata in gvfs or somewhere, so apps can grab useful input from the user upon save-as?

[1] http://ubuntu-pics.de/bild/86207/screenshot_4q84M4.png
[2] http://ubuntu-pics.de , picasa, facebook etc..