Re: [Ayatana] Unity launcher - will an autohide option be available?

On 5 July 2010 19:03, Liam Wilson wrote:
> Now, I know that the titlebar and menu items will be located in the panel in the future, which does save a lot of vertical screen space, but horizontal screen space in important too, and one major annoyance of mine is that Websites now don't fit horizontally on a 1024x600 resolution without having to scroll, and I feel that having a auto-hide option, at least, that re-appears when the mouse cursor is placed on the left hand edge of the screen (like MeeGo), would solve this.

I agree with the auto-hide to save screen space, but having it
reappear on proximity would be a pain - it shares space with most web
pages navigation bar, so it would often get in the middle of browsing.

A better option for a hidden bar is the one supported by Firefox
Mobile ("Fennec"). The button bar is placed just outside the visible
screen, and it is shown by dragging the screen to the right. This
could be implemented in Unity with a finger gesture in multi-touch
screens, or by dragging the panel in mouse or single-touch interfaces.

But alas, the design of the Unity launcher seems to be based on an
always visible bar. If this is true, it doesn't take the problem of
1024px-wide webpages into account.

http://design.canonical.com/2010/06/introduction-to-unity-launcher/