Re: [Ayatana] Details on the netbook menu bar plan

On Saturday, May 08, 2010 02:20:34 am Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> MPT posted details on the global menu challenges we face, on
> design.canonical.com:
>
>    http://design.canonical.com/2010/05/menu-bar/
>
> If you haven't seen it, it's worth a read.
>
> We expect to have a prototype implementation available next week, at
> which point the race to get it all done by 10.10 begins! We'll need a
> lot of help on this one - there are hundreds of apps to be checked and
> tested, and no doubt a lot of code to be written too.
>
> Mark

I thought it might be worth mentioning that as of yesterday we've got the final
bits in place for application menu integration with Kubuntu Netbook (turned off
panel autohiding by default).  It isn't precisely the same as is planned for
UNE, but it's built on the same technologies.  I've blogged about it before:

http://skitterman.wordpress.com/2010/07/08/global-menu-in-action-in-kubuntu-
maverick/

and shown it working with GTK/Gnome apps (currently you'll have to install
additional packages for this):

http://skitterman.wordpress.com/2010/07/09/menubar-for-gtk-and-qtkde-apps-on-
kubuntu/

There are, of course, some bugs: