Re: [Ayatana] Restart Required

Hi Luke ;)

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 17:44, Luke Benstead <kazade@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The menu item should not change IMO, it should still be called "Restart".

+1

The red indicator has been a bug bear of mine for a while, red is far to severe a colour for something that isn't an error condition. I'd again suggest blue for information, or at most an amber to indicate a warning (I guess it's possible a kernel update had a security fix).

yeah most important in all of this is not yet the how, as we obviously have no philosophy for how to map color to condition yet.
I see a problem with "condition" itself.. what are the conditions we want to inform the user about? Error vs healthy? Peace of mind vs Fear and frustration?
I rather recommend going about this topic a different way..
For technical reasons, and computer stuff is technical as far as i understand it, certain system events require aka "depend" on user interaction. For that reason Ubuntu needs to get the user's attention and motivate the user to interact.

A system with manners will do this politely, asking rather than commanding, instructing with guidance and politeness, not with technical inhumane formulations.. (see BSOD, RTFM etc..)

Restart Required as an indicator menu action definitely doesn't fit into the picture i am thinking of here..

I attached an an idea with GREEN as the color for an expected event appearing exactly where i expect it to happen. The mockup could perhaps be enhanced with the words "to finish the upgrade" in brackets below "Restart"

i find it more inviting to offer a path of interaction with green as a "breadcrumb" color.. the only thing that is green in this moment is my interaction path, that's how i imagined the interaction here..

i think Nielsen had some stuff about similar objects being perceived as related...
that would fit into the picture here, IMO