[Ayatana] Unity's "desktop"

Currently, when a user logs in to a unity session, they are presented with a dock and a top panel. The rest of the space shows just a pretty picture. Although I like background images, I feel that for a portable device such as a netbook, this space can be put to better use.

My proposal is to have a framework for widgets that the user can add to their clean desktop. (Think OSX dashboard or kde plasma.)

These would provide useful information at the opening of a laptop lid, such as weather, calendar, analog clock (not really useful), email, etc.

I realize that it isn't possible to develop this in time for 10.10, but I feel it would be a good addition for 11.04.

If I understand correctly, the entire desktop is drawn by clutter in unity. If this is correct, then it should be easy to have widgets that look nice/are animated.

I think Unity should ship with a collection of widgets, but I also think that more importantly, Unity should have a framework for custom widgets, perhaps installable through the software center.

What do you think?