Re: [Ayatana] [Usability] The Future of Window Borders, Menu Bars, and More

On 08/07/2010 09:56 AM, Remco wrote:
On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 15:46, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In this scenario someone is using (for example) Calculator, Banshee,
Empathy, Gmail, Amazon, CNN, Farmville, the Gundam AnimeSuki Forum, and
Hulu respectively. That they are using Firefox for 70% of these things
does not mean it is useful or informative for "Firefox" to appear in the
corner of the screen while doing them -- just as, for example, "Gnome"
or "Xorg" or "Ubuntu" or "GNU" or "Linux" shouldn't. Taking up that much
screen space with any of those brands may well be good for their
vendors, but it is not relevant to user goals.
Oh, but you're not directly using Gmail, or Amazon, or CNN, or
Farmville, or any of those sites. You're using a browser to view them.
This browser has a URL bar, a back button, bookmarks, history,
extensions, tabs. You can pretend that a web page is a normal
application (with Prism and those kinds of things), but that's a whole
other thing. If you're using a browser, then the application menu
which will allow you to manipulate that browser is a useful feature.

Now, if you create a Prism app from a web page, then it would make
sense that the web page itself fills that menu. This is something that
Prism developers would have to figure out though.

+1. People know that they open "that internet thingy" to get to web pages. They know that it isn't just for one website and they know that it lets them go to multiple ones. Same for office-style applications. They know that Word and Excel are different programs for different things, but they know that they are all in the same general "MS Office" category. If people understand that just fine, then it's no different from OpenOffice.org.
You're assuming the point. Why should I care that it's a "Thunderbird"
window? That matters only if I often use multiple e-mail clients and
need to distinguish between them.
Or if you use Thunderbird instead of the default email client in
Ubuntu. Brands exist to reduce confusion. They allow people to talk
about the software they are using.
+1. I don't use "E-mail Client", I use Thunderbird. I don't use "Web Browser", I use Firefox or Opera or Chromium or Epiphany or whatever. It makes it easier for people to be sure what application the window belongs to when it isn't so easy to tell. It's easy for you to distinguish between the windows because you're used to them and the layout. New users or inexperienced users, not so much.