Re: [Ayatana] Browser Offline Message

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 15:28, Bilal Akhtar <bilalakhtar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't understand why Firefox (or Internet Explorer) has an offline
> mode at all.

It is very much helpful for DSL users as well. Sometimes, I want to
avoid my browser add-ons from unnecessarily accessing web resources
while something large is being downloaded or I am voice-chatting.

well i can turn Empathy on and off via the Me Menu already, so that's already a smart thing to do with a web-application as i learn from that..

"Offline Mode" in a web application has security, privacy, economy, performance and workflow use cases, all already stated in this thread.

"on", "connected" should be the 2 states a web application should express for semantic correctness. I thought of "off" and its derivatives.. these point not to a state, but to the absense of a state, which is not useful information!
We want to be aware of stuff that's on, every thing else would be a big fat (ORANGE) error, in hardware failure warning cases perhaps a red error.
This solves a lot of logical problems we have in interface technology today.. especially in our own UI at hand right here..