Re: [Ayatana] Do Not Disturb vs Indicator Session

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx
<frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> yeah, everything users suggest frequently. It est all common use cases. We
> don't want to create a bloated configuration page.. just the most frequent
> use cases for the beginning.

I've heard this before months ago WRT notifications popping up when
not wanted, but I don't recall the thread ever reaching a consensus on
a behavior that would satisfy all use cases (but configuration not
desirable).

> I'd suggest make everything silent by default, and add configurability for
> the more difficult cases such as Empathy's IM and voice call Availablity or
> Custom Presence.

Hitting the 90% case for most people will likely be enough and keep
the user interaction simple. Another 8% could likely be satisfied with
a simple configuration page (bonus would be the flexibility for apps
to plug in a custom config options), and that last 2% could specify a
script that controls the behavior.

Ability to easily switch between two (or a small few) modes (e.g. do
not disturb except for ... / do not disturb REALLY) with proper
default might get you to 95% without any further configuration.