Re: [Ayatana] media vs apps

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 2:03 PM, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jean, thanks for your thoughts on this!

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 14:41, Jean Levasseur <levasseur.jean@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2010/12/21 Frederik Nnaji <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx>

On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 17:56 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Personally, if I were to click on a button labeled 'Photos and
> Videos', I would expect to find those files there rather than editors,
> etc.

[...] 2 things: first, there are good content management software for both music (rhythmbox, banshee) and photos (f-spot, shotwell) but none for videos.  For videos, there are just players as far as I know.

Jason, would you like to say something at this point?

Yes I do! Thanks, Frederik!

For what it's worth, dmedia will shortly have nice video management.  This is a preview of the HTML5 UI that James Raymond has been working on - http://cdn.novacut.com/dmedia0.2-preview/browser.html

But more generally, I'm hoping dmedia can help get this important user data (and metadata) out of application-specific silos.  This fits well with the overall Ayatana focus on the "space between applications".  For example, I'd like to see cool social features integrated with dmedia, which would allow this social use in any context, not just in the context of a single application (Banshee, Shotwell, etc).

I think the use case Frederick brought up is ripe with possibility.  The problem I see with *only* relying on domain specific manager apps is when the "stuff" you're looking for spans multiple domains.  For example, I think Zeitgeist has clearly demonstrated the value of an aggregate chronological view.  And I think that view needs to be more than just a list of recently accessed media files... we need the metadata too.  With rich metadata (like what dmedia stores), we can be much smarted about how and what we present in a chronological view.

I think the content rather than application focus is a very exciting idea, Frederick.  If you have ideas about specific metadata that would be needed for the use case you have in mind, I'd happily add it to dmedia.

Plus, dmedia is a *distributed* media library.  We can provide an aggregate view into the user's content and activity across *all* their devices, which is pretty cool, IMHO.  This bug is probably the best explanation of the core distributed features, the metadata we will store to enable it - https://bugs.launchpad.net/dmedia/+bug/680467

I know banshee has a video library, and banshee being now the default music library software in Ubuntu it might as well serve as the default video player/manager in Ubuntu as well.  Next, photo management software often offers several ways to modify their content, on the contrary of the other content management softwares that are just that: library management and player.  That might be a reason people get confused when they access shotwell or f-spot: they think those are primarly photo editors rather than photo managers.

yes, i think you're right. people want to read their email, so they click on "Email", or any other icon that makes them believe they will find email by touching it.
Clicking is the next best thing to touching.

If you click "Music", and you're confronted with a couple of different apps, then something is wrong.