Re: [Ayatana] WM icon touch target size/position (was: Embedded gnome-panel functional)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011, Thamawij Pirajnaraporn wrote:

Hello Thamawij,

Welcome!

It took me a couple of minutes to fully parse the mockup and try to
work out what it's showing; if I understand correctly, it is
demonstrating an idea to move the window-manager and indicator icon
placement from the top of the screen to the right-hand side:

  1. Use a second panel at the right-hand of the screen
  2. Containing larger versions of those icons in the top bar
  3. Full-screen apps would have 100% of _height_ but less width

Is that correct?

> A panel is not a thing for touch. In fact, it's really hard to
> touch it since it is very thin.

For touch, the focus is really around multi-touch.  If you're a touch
user used to single fingers then many of the actions you've
highlighted above as being "hard" because of their size will be
available via higher-level multi-finger gestures.  Initial parts of
this gesture language are described in

  http://design.canonical.com/ -> "Unity Gesture UI Guidelines"

or more directly, but with a less pretty URL:

  https://docs.google.com/View?id=dfkkjjcj_1482g457bcc7#5_Initial_gestures_07691306807_35605821083299816

(This is dated September 2010, so I need to check if it's the latest).

Often, very-specific actions such as toggling the wifi or adjusting
the volume that /could/ be done via a menu are available directly as
hardware keys.  In these cases the indicators are serving more as
feedback indicators _to_ the user and less as something that needs to
be clicked or interacted with directly in a touch environment.

	-Paul