Re: [Ayatana] Touch size (was: Embedded gnome-panel functional...)

Hi Paul, Sorry for reply late.

I get it now. At first I though that I should make a specific topic for a mail. ^^ Sorry that I did a mess, please let me re-compile it into one:

1. Remove the top bar and embed everything with the Unity dock on the left.

The reason to do so is that top bar take precious vertical space because most of the screens are now wide screen. A netbook user face a hard time that I cannot reach the 'close' button of some windows such as nautilus configuration dialog. (The 1024x600 screen has less vertical space though) So I hope the widgets on gnome panel can be ported to the dock.

As the clip I attached, I hadn't use gnome-panel for a long time. By remove it from /usr/bin/ and using docky or glx-dock, life is easier.

Full-screen apps would have 100% of _height_ but less width <<
Yep, we need a full width only when we were watching a widescreen movies so why not using it.

2. Change how's windows being controlled. Now, I have came up with 2 ideas

- 2.1 Make a window control plugin which generate an icon that always stay at the top of Unity dock. Tap on the icon appears a  special stack menu with title of the active window, the stack contains icons for Close/Minimize/Maximize Buttons, File, Edit, View ... etc.

I haven't tried making this one yet. It just came up a moment ago. In fact, I want to remake the window manager but I thought that that's impossible for now. So this one may easier and less confuse than the 2.2 since there's a title on the stack after being tapped on.

- 2.2 Use a second panel at the right-handed of the screen as a windows control dock. Close/Minimize/Maximize buttons, File, Edit, View ... etc. also has it's own icon.

As far as I tried, both only works if every windows assume to be a fullscreen application. Otherwise, you will get a bit confuse. But you may get used to it very soon.

From here on is another topic that I was planning to purpose :

3. Stack docklets for Unity dock

This is a need.  We don't want to scroll endlessly for an only item, do we ? ^^

4. Unity dock customizable, e.g. icon size should be adjustable and the dock itself should be theme-able and may be able to add additional columns if the user want to.

Theming and customize at will is one of the best features for linux. Sadly, GDM overlooked them and make changes without any solution for convert or support old themes, so the GDM 2 had many complains. I think many theme developer given up because of the change. Is there any plan for them ?

PS. I'm just an armature in computer OS and programming but I has some experience with C and Python. I love doing designs. Please let me know if you had anything for me to help. I'm testing the Alpha from time to time and will let you know my opinion. I hope I could be useful for the community. I'm doing a mock up for what I think it would be look like. Hope you take it into consideration.

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Paul Sladen <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jan 2011, Thamawij Pirajnaraporn wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Thamawij Pirajnaraporn wrote:
> > A panel is not a thing for touch. In fact, it's really hard to touch it
> No one interesting in this topic?

Hello Thamawij,

I tried to cover and answer all the three original emails in a single
reply.  Eg. talking about the small size of targets, I pointed at the
more gobal multi-touch gestures language.

As noted in the other email it was quite hard to grasp the other all
high-level context.  It was not my intent and to have overlooked
anything in particular. Could you highlight anything that was missed
specifically?

       -Paul