Re: [Ayatana] Launcher DnD - import applications on DnD start

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 23:26 +0800, Sam Spilsbury wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was having a quick conversation with a few people about the new
> launcher DnD behaviour (highlighting applications which can handle the
> MIME type from the .desktop file). I thought it would be cool to
> extend this behavior slightly further so that the launcher will import
> the default application that handles that file type into your launcher
> if there isn't an application in the launcher that handles that file
> type.
>
> This is useful if, for example, you want to open an image or video
> file through drag and drop, but don't need to have Eye of GNOME or
> Totem cluttering up your launcher all the time (since they are
> primarily "view only" applications).
>
> What does design and Project Ayatana think?

Personally, I think that would be a very, very useful feature. I guess
you could argue about where it would stop, but I think even showing the
default app that can handle that filetype at the and of the launcher
application icons (i.e. where it would open), would be pretty awesome.

--
Neil Jagdish Patel | Technical Lead
Desktop Experience Team