Re: [Ayatana] Regarding the Sound Menu Spec's closing of inactive audio applications

Hi folks,

On this subject there is a bug ->

https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-sound/+bug/714750

>>What's new in Natty?

I have changed the registration process completely so as players can dynamically add / subtract themselves from the menu using just a standard MPRIS implementation and GSettings. No more need for libindicate (hence why Spotify automatically inserts itself in the menu). MPRIS playlists have landed (previously needing to be spec'd with the help of the MPRIS guys) and under the bonnet there has been a huge code refactor (shifted everything to GDbus and totally reworked the pulse manager). Design of the UI as you may have noticed has also been tidied up.

I will hopefully add this feature this week - 0.6.0.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoundMenu#microphone-item

Not to mention a much needed proper bug clearout operation which is ongoing ...

I also intend to have sound menu insertion functionality as part of libunity in the coming weeks.

At any stage if you care to see the release process, you can observe which bugs are pinned against each forthcoming release.

https://launchpad.net/indicator-sound

I create a new milestone each Thursday which is subsequently released the following Thursday.
Clicking on the current milestone (0.6.0) you will see  that there are 10 bugs targeted for this.

https://launchpad.net/indicator-sound/+milestone/0.6.0

>Banshee has been broken as well.
The spec clearly outlines how players should behave on the Ubuntu platform. It really is up to the players to implement the spec properly.

>>There is an unfortunate lack of proper planning in these >features :
Well I have implemented everything I said I would do at UDS, client integration is sticky point for sure. One which I suspect will need more love...

Conor

On 15/02/11 15:46, Brett Cornwall wrote:

On 02/15/2011 10:18 AM, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
This here was and is imo be the most clear and straightforward contribution to the problem this thread is trying to address:

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 14:36, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A window's close button should close the window. Anything else the
program does should aim for the least overall distraction.

In the perfect implementation, Rhythmbox or Banshee would then have a way of continuing playback where you last left off..
Meaning even if Rhythmbox or Banshee was quit somehow, it should resume right where you left it upon quit, by simply pressing the Play button in the Sound Menu's playback controls.

If R or B would take longer to load because it was unfortunately quit beforehand, then so be it, but "distraction" here would be to make the user go back into the library / manager view to resume playback where it was last stopped.

Nothing wrong with session saving imo, even though it never really worked in GNOME, not even for Nautilus windows, which imo is a sad thing (or did i use/configure it wrongly?).
Having to reload the application again is going to make the environment feel quite a bit slower. Banshee is a complete media manager suite and with that comes a weighty startup. I do understand that tablets are now in the equation but an overflow of applications has been handled in a better manner for years now (swap). Should we lower the usability for one specific type of hardware? Tomboy takes quite an extraordinary amount of RAM as well (more than Rhythmbox in my case) but I don't see Ayatana jumping to break anything on that front.

Also, I will ask: Will this "perfect implementation" make it to natty final? Or will this be a horrifically broken first step? The indicator applet was a pretty useless mess for a few releases until it matured. Up until that point it wrecked the desktop experience, being little more than a little chat client launcher. So far the implementation has been to have Rhythmbox close (without session saving at all). It's been sitting there, broken. What's new in Natty? Banshee has been broken as well. Will 11.10 feature Exaile and Amarok closing and 12.04 feature session saving? There is an unfortunate lack of proper planning in these features - if you're going to break things, break 80 percent of it on the first go, not 15 percent every release.

--
-Brett Cornwall
_______________________________________________ Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~ayatana Post to : ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~ayatana More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp