Re: [Ayatana] hiding unmounted bookmarks

On Sun, 2011-02-13 at 15:20 +0100, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> the reason for me to reconsider this in the first place, is that
> somebody would be unlikely to bookmark a location, knowing that it
> would become physically unavailable soon.
> I wouldn't bookmark a location, if i plan not to attach that
> thumbdrive or external hdd again anytime soon.

This would break my primary use case for bookmarks.  I don't bother
bookmarking anything on my local system, as it's very easy to navigate
to local resources.  However, I do bookmark network file systems
frequently, as it's a pain to type

sftp://some.server.somewhere/long/path/to/the/files/that/I/want

Clicking the bookmark opens a connection and FUSE mounts the remote
filesystem automatically, saving me time and effort.

Perhaps this is an indication that networked external filesystems are
different enough from local external filesystems (like thumb drives)
that they should be treated differently, but I'm not sure without more
thought.

 - rm