Re: [Ayatana] I don't think global menu and the panel is good for a touch OS

On 18/01/11 18:09, Conscious User wrote:

>> They are very different things, and a design that works well for one
>> will hardly ever work well for the other.
>
> I'm a little bit confused now because Mark's blog post about Unity
> clearly stated that some design decisions were motivated by touch
> devices. Is the Unity design still taking touch into consideration
> or this was completely dropped once it was decided that Desktops
> would use it too?

No. Menu's are inherently antagonistic to touch. They are not
salvageable in their current form, so we're making no effort to do so.
As MPT has said clearly here, if you want to make a touch friendly
*app*, you need to use touch friendly styling and gestures. And not
depend on menus at all.

Utouch makes that easy to do, but you won't get "touchiness" for free in
the app, you have to design for it. Similarly, we didn't get it for free
in the shell, we had to design for it.

Mark