Re: [Ayatana] Regarding the Sound Menu Spec's closing of inactive audio applications

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 13:36 +0000, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> Thanks for raising this, Brett.
>
> Brett Cornwall wrote on 07/02/11 17:28:
> >
> > Hi, Coming from bug 658590
> > <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bug/658590>.
> >
> > I am arguing the sanity of having media players close when no music is
> > playing. Since this spec assumes that the user has no purpose for the
> > application when closing wouldn't it be safe to say that any wasted RAM
> > would be shifted to the swap partition? That's what it's for.
>
> The end goal should be that "quit" is something the computer takes care
> of. Humans should no longer have to care whether a program is "running"
> or not.

Contrary to the above bug; I had problems with this behavior.

With the new sound menu changes, I wanted to quit Banshee while it was
running(playing) and there is no way to quit Banshee!

The "Quit" menu item has been changed to a "Close"

I was left wondering what to do, and then remembered this thread, else I
would have been completely lost.. :s

So now to Quit I have to first Pause and then choose to Quit/Close the
app. Which was just a simpler single action with a Quit menu item.

Now we have the same close button doing two actions.

If I was a new user, once I noticed that Close button minimizes Banshee
to the sound menu, how would I realize that very same button would be a
quit action only when I pause the player?

--
Cheers,
Vish