Re: [Ayatana] Messaging / terminology questions

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 21:10 -0800, Dylan McCall wrote:
>       * The Me Menu. I remember “Me Menu” being a code name at one
>         point. Has that moved up to being what we call it for end users,
>         too?

Yes, it is The Me Menu.  (see below)

>       * The messaging menu and other menus are different from the Me
>         Menu in that we don't use title case for them. Is this a
>         conscious decision?

Nope.  They should all use title case.  It's more of a "Ted sucks at
English" thing ;)  If you notice places that are wrong, fix them if you
can or please report them as bugs.

>       * I just noticed indicator-datetime's shiny new configuration
>         panel (yay, a good time zone chooser!) has an option labelled
>         “Show the clock in the menu bar.” Does this mean we're calling
>         the top panel in Unity simply the “menu bar?” (If so, that's
>         really sharp. I like it! I may even learn to fully accept the
>         global menu for this reason).

Yes, the top bar should be referred to as the menu bar.  And everything
in it is a menu.  So the Me Menu, Messaging Menu, Session Menu, etc.  We
unfortunately have some overloaded language with the use of indicators
as well, but that should really only be package names and not anything
that is user facing.

I think that if someone does an anthropological study of all the
documentation and mail regarding this I might be one of the main causes
of this confusion.  Sorry about that.

<snip'd out a question as I can't answer that one>

> Is there a nice document (preferably consisting of one or two really
> awesome pictures) that says what we call stuff in the Ubuntu desktop?
> There seems to be a lot of confusion floating around. If there isn't
> such a document, maybe we should make one and publicize it before Natty
> gets close to release. It would do a lot to improve communication.

I think that's a great idea.  I think we'll probably have to wait for UI
freeze though as I believe some things are still changing.

		--Ted