[Ayatana] Consolidated Keyboard Indicator (or: Polyglots need love, too)

Ubuntu needs a consolidated keyboard indicator, one that allows users to change keyboard layouts and keyboard input methods all in one place. Check out the attached image to see what a disaster the current setup is.

In my panel I have not one but two keyboard indicators (as an aside I should mention that the layout indicator doesn't match the theme, wastes too much space on my little netbook and is, well, just ugly). Since I write in English, French, and Chinese, I need to switch between different keyboard layouts AND input methods on a regular basis. Which is why I need both indicators in my panel. If they were
combined into one super-indicator(!) I would be very happy.

Multi-lingual users are always left behind in interface design. Usually, things work very well in one language, but if you need to use two or three simultaneously, that's when things go wonky!

Marc Lajoie