Re: [Ayatana] Windows 8 and OS X Lion observations

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 20:02 -0500, GonzO wrote:
> Evenin'.
>

> > I'm curious if your talking personally or your speaking about people in
> > general.
>
> Both.
>
> I was, for a good number of years (and in some respects, still am) a
> sysadmin.  I fixed people's computers and networks and then taught
> them how to use it all, including customizing their OS to make sure it
> could easily do what they wanted it to do.  Then I was top level
> software support, and now I design and write the user interface for a
> piece of software.
>
> So when I write here, I'm writing about both what I want out of an
> OS/GUI, and what my customers / friends / family members have
> expressed an interest in having.
>
> *At the end of the day*, it is of course all my subjective opinion...
> although I would argue that I base my opinion upon a decently large
> sample set witnessed over a decently long period of time.
>

> "To know what apps are open is something that in my workflow only
> happens on occasion."
>
> In this particular case, I was talking specifically about the
> difference between
> 1) an icon on the screen that *also* tells you (via a glowing dot or
> whatever) whether or not the app it represents is open (i.e. "Old" OSX
> behavior)
> 2) an icon on the screen that represents an app without this indicator
> (apparently, "New" OSX Lion, or so I've read)
>
> In either case, the icon is *still there*.  No space is being saved,
> but the icon is apparently just made dumber... well, just because.  If
> I want to see the at least some of the information it *used to*
> contain, I now have to go elsewhere in the OS.
>

> >I think that the direction that Unity is going in
> >this regard avoids this issue, you select the application, if multiple
> >instances are open you get to choose, otherwise it's launched.
>
> Unity also does not do away with the visual "am I open" indicator,
> though.  In fact, it lets you know if its open *and* whether or not it
> has the current focus.
>

> >I would judge the later one to be more the realm of
> >'power users' and is not a normal behaviour of the average user.
>
> I think we need to do away with this entire concept of "average user"
> and "power user".
>
> One problem with these distinctions is that they are fictitious and
> apparently apply to nobody; everyone thinks they are the "average
> user", and no one seems to want to fess up to being a "power user".
>
> Another big issue is that the criterion and demographics between
> "average user," "power user," and "whatever other kinds of users
> aren't covered by those two" are shifting.  It is becoming rarer and
> rarer for someone to only use their computer to "check email and do
> some light browsing" - what I think you refer to when you say "average
> user" - because more and more of those users are using their phones
> [...]

I cannot understand the desire to get rid of the panel.  With people
arguing whether a clock is needed and, so on.

For me a panel is handy place to keep things I know I want quick access
to.

In some walks of life the clock is one of them.  In my role as a
volunteer advisor for the UK CAB I need to keep an eye on the clock.
The computer is the best place for it.  It would be rude to keep looking
at my watch, but the client thinks nothing of my quick glance at the
computer.

There are even things that the Unity police have already taken away from
me.  In Classic, I have a small applet on the panel which disables the
screen saver - very useful when watching long videos, listening to
Ubuntu UK Podcasts or talking to my brother on Skype.  I would love it
back on the panel.

It is use cases like these that we should be collecting to decide what
is best.  This is real world.

Tony