Re: [Ayatana] Discover-ability / Desktop tips

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Matthew Bassett <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I hope I am not raising something that has already been addressed in the
> archives of this mailing list, but...

A few links:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/welcome-window
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/790628
https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg05790.html
https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg06051.html

For the record, I'm against any nag screens, be that XP style welcome
tour or the equally renowned "tip of the day". What certainly needs to
be addressed is making keyboard shortcuts more discoverable. Chrome OS
and OS X are pretty good at that. Having already copied the Mac style
menu bar why not further add two of its greatest features? Namely
that's the search box in the help menu entry and the blue flashing of
the top menu entry if a keyboard shortcut is executed. Try it out if
you can.

Chrome (OS) shows some unobtrusive tips. I personally don't like them
either but at least they don't get in the way. Therefore I'd much
prefer your OSD approach to solid windows or even whole separate
applications as discussed previously.