[Ayatana] Hide application windows via launcher

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/733349

OK, just so you know I'm pretty pissed off how this is being handled.
But that's not helping anyone so let's get back to the technical
details and see how we can solve this.

There is quite a demand for that feature, apparently the most
subscribed ayatana related bug and also one of the most commented on.
Some at Canonical seem to disagree both with a) the problem and b) the
solution for no further explained "design reasons". I get the
impression they haven't read my comments on the bug tracker. Grep my
name, I'm not going to repeat my arguments here. If anything is
unclear I'll happily elaborate. If there are any arguments against my
point of view I'm all ears.

I post this here and not on the bug tracker because the bug doesn't
separate a) and b). You can disagree with a particular solution and
therefore close the bug but you can't tell the people who subscribed
that the problem "won't be ever fixed".

Some alternative solutions to the popular single click on launcher
icon method: context menu (like OS X), a hide button in spread view or
Windows 7 taskbar like thumbnails with a minimize function. You want
me to make a separate bug report for every single solution I can come
up with? (I could really think of better ways to report and discuss
design issues than a bug tracker.)

That's it for now. Looking forward to your replies.