Re: [Ayatana] Oneiric Dark Toolbars vs. Apple Ipad Toolbars (Bad design vs. Good design)

Respectfully, I don't think that is good design. The gradient on the toolbar make it seem very heavy. It draws your eye to a section of the UI that A. isn't content, and B. doesn't do very much. And a flat toolbar would seem disconnected and cobbled on as an add on, rather than a cohesive part of the interface.

Looking aside the colors, visual separation between the "toolbar" (which is really more a titlebar) and the "top panel" makes sense in this case, since the purpose of the top panel is purely informative; there is no interactivity with its contents. The problem lies in that the Unity Panel and the iOS information bar serve entirely different purposes. The Unity panel is interactive, and hosts many application related functions (due to the menu bar). Drawing the user into the panel visually help to reinforce the idea that it isn't separate, and should be clicked on.

Then again, that particular tool bar is wasting an awful lot of vertical space, and on a device that really needs all the pixels it can get it's hands on. I would have cut the vertical size of the toolbar in half, at least, and relocated it's functions to the bottom of the smaller pane on the left, or replaced them with gestures in this case. iOS seems to make decent use of the Pull-down-to-refresh gesture, which eliminates one button, New Folders could be created with an empty placeholder at the bottom (a la gnome shell and workspaces) and settings could either be taken care of in a global "settings" app, or also handled via a gesture (it should be used rarely, and thus not warrant a dedicated button on screen). As for Edit, I can't really place it anywhere, because the functionality isn't immediately clear to me, which is a UI design issue itself. Not to mention why there are two of them.

In any case, using a purely touch based UI is not a good model for developing one that would work on any device, and that is where iOS design is utterly unsuitable for comparison to Unity anyway.