Re: [Ayatana] The Dash in Onereric Ocelot

True, I was not looking at an image, I was trying to imagine based on the text in an email. However, in an image that was attached to a subsequent reply from Owas Lone, the Dash looks like it's going in the right direction, but for my personal tastes, the desktop behind it is still too intrusive in that screenshot. If you run multiple Conky windows like I do, I'm thinking that would be even more intrusive.

I understand that a certain group of you felt that the Dash looked a certain way after awhile. I'm just requesting that you give those outside of your group options to make similar decisions, for ourselves, on our own machines. Let me keep the current dark coloration if I prefer it (or heck, make it bright opaque pink, if I'm into that sort of thing). Regardless of what the cool kids like, I can't grok the appeal of a transparent Dash anymore than I understand the appeal of a transparent terminal.

I'm not assuming these options are not in the cards, just saying that some of us would indeed appreciate them :)  No doubt you also get bored with a given wallpaper after awhile, and thankfully we have the option of changing the wallpaper; same principle.

As far as white wallpapers go, I was partial to the red leaves on a foggy day on the Thames that was included in a previous Ubuntu release (I forget which release); to me that was borderline white. Then sometimes I like to take a smaller transparent image (for example, like this) and center it on an actual white "seamless" background. Please don't judge me for using "worrying" white ;)

In the those white/light background cases I don't use the desktop as a folder, since (unless I am missing something) I have no control over desktop text coloration independent of other text coloration, and I generally prefer to keep the Ambiance theme. Decoupling the panel and desktop coloration options is something I would have prioritized ahead of making the Dash take on a wash, since that issue predates the Unity Dash.

Otto Greenslade wrote:
Hi. Did you look at the image? I don't think you can say it looks like your desktop. After living with it for a while, the black-tinted dash was felt to be somewhat lifeless and on Unity 2D previously without the aid of blurring a bit like a blackboard. This just helps to make it appear a little more integrated, more light-weight / less jarring.
<snip>
Hi. The dash will compensate for very light and very dark wallpapers, adjusting the wash accordingly (white is darkened/black is lightened - anyway hopefully nobody actually uses a white wallpaper, that would be a bit worrying!). When we tested our current system, it was at least 95% successful on a very broad spectrum of wallpapers and we have been looking at how to improve the final 5%.