Re: [Ayatana] Dash search vs Alt+F2 in 11.10

Well, this is mostly the way that Alt+F2 has worked for at least ten years, so there's really nothing new there. We used to have some options in the dialog, though, like run in terminal, run with file and select applications. None of those make sense to me. If I want to run something in a terminal, I type "super+3 something". To do the same thing in the old dialog, I would have to type "alt+f2 something alt+t alt+r".
I know what I prefer.

Perhaps an option next to the command line in Alt-F2 that states, run in terminal. Thus if selected then a terminal window could open and the command is executed in the terminal. Just a thought, but I think that I would find useful.

I would much prefer super+3, or alt+f3 to open a new terminal. Having to first configure something like that by checking boxes is not for me. No, sir. Not at all.

Well that makes sense. Thinking it through it does seem redundant and painful to execute a command and then tick a box or tab and then press space to choose to run it in a terminal when super+# would do the job.

It's most prob. my lack of constant experience in linux that I'm generally not familiar enough commands to be able to type a single command to restart a service (I normally have to check what the name of the service is, though not always). Also I wasn't aware of the killall command, something I think I will start using, as I often get dead windows from problematic software.

I'm sure there are more. All of this is possible using a terminal, of course, but you save a few keystrokes when you're not interested in the output and you don't have to close the window afterwards.

Thanks for the feedback Jo, was curious as to what people use it for. It does seem useful to me in the current form that it is, so I'd vote for no change. I would also agree with others and say that it's not useful trying to merge it with the default unity lens as it's really about case sensitive command line execution not a generic search with results. Not a big fan of using something like ~ or $ or # in a lens either.

Cheers,

James