Fwd: N-Trig Device Enablement Plan for Lucid

For future reference...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bryce Harrington <bryce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: March 12, 2010 7:37:24 PM MST
To: Robbie Williamson <robbie.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Patrick McGowan <pat.mcgowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >, Rick Spencer <rick.spencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pete Graner <pete.graner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >, Duncan McGreggor <duncan.mcgreggor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andy Whitcroft <andy.whitcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Marjo Mercado <marjo.mercado@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >
Subject: Re: N-Trig Device Enablement Plan for Lucid

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 02:14:20PM -0600, Robbie Williamson wrote:
Mark,

Had a call[1] today to discuss our plan for enabling the N-Trig support for Lucid, and I wanted to sanity check it with you...before we get too
far into it.  Here's the plan:

       * First stage the kernel and X driver changes within Bryce's
xorg-edgers PPA...similar to how we tested nouveau support. Andy
       believes we should be able to enable all 7 kernel drivers for
       multi-touch, including N-Trig, as they are fairly
       self-contained.

On the X side, the last two days have been productive and the basic
packaging work is complete:

 * multitouch PPA created
 * -evdev has multitouch support added (in PPA)
 * -wacom has the N-Trig hw support (in Lucid)
 * -evtouch is fixed to build again (in Lucid)
 * multitouchd daemon packaged (in PPA)

The PPA is coming together here:

 https://edge.launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/multitouch/+packages

I still need to get the daemon to actually init and start automatically but ran out of time this week. Plus I've never packaged a daemon before
so this is a bit of a learning experience.  Project for Monday.

After that, it's on to testing...

Bryce